Fighting the mean reds

JASPER JOHNS TARGET 1961

Truman Capote knew what he was talking about but there are some great gallery shows on the Upper East Side (yes, really!)  right now that make for a quick and  immensely satifsying afternoon art outing guranteed to fight off any potential nasty mood swing.   Today I started at Acquavella to see their show of works from the collection of Robert and Ethel  Scull (apparently she was known as SPIKE and of course all I can think is how do you get people to start calling you Spike?)

ROBERT AND ETHEL  (SPIKE) SCULL

They were this very groovy couple who assembled an amazing collection in the 60s, the major pieces of which are now reassembled (with notes indicating which private and museum collections now own the works) at Aquavella gallery on 79th street.

ANDY WARHOL ETHEL SCULL 36 TIMES, 1963

Robert Scull commissioned Andy Warhol’s first portrait ever, in 1963, of his wife.

I’m a bit obsessed with Jasper Johns.  (The house at the center of the story of The Summer We Read Gatsby was called Fool’s House, after the Jasper Johns painting of that name. )

JASPER JOHNS, FOOL’S HOUSE 1962

This piece wasn’t in the show but there are other amazing examples at Aquavella including Double Flag, also a commissioned piece. This show closes next week and it is well worth checking out before it does.

MIKE KELLEY ARENA #7 (Bears) 1990

From Acquavella we hopped next door to Per Skarstedt Fine Art to see the Mike Kelley Arenas show.  Poignant and creepy and wonderful.

RICHARD PRINCE

At the Mike Kelley show we happened to run into Richard Prince which was funny as we were actually on our way to Gagosian gallery to revisit Richard’s new show of paintings, aptly, for this day, entitled the Tiffany Paintings

RICHARD PRINCE TIFFANY PAINTING 2010

I’ve been having a major Truman Capote moment right now, re-reading his work reading up as much as I can about him (check out The Party of the Century by Deborah Davis about his famous black and white ball.)

I’m going to re-read Breakfast at Tiffany’s

I’d be curious to hear about any other great gallery shows and reading suggestions

Category: Art, Updated to May 23, 2010 of Danielle | Log in

60 Comments

Write a comment - TrackBack- RSS Comments

1. Comment by pr ranking:

I used to be recommended this blog by way of my cousin. I am no longer sure
    whether this submit is written via him as no one else recognise such designated approximately my difficulty.
    You’re amazing! Thanks!

January 5, 2016 @ 6:06 am
  2. Comment by dodac taki sam prefiks czy sufiks na liscie wielu urli:
    January 15, 2016 @ 4:40 am
  3. Comment by Nance Lionell:

http://www.peacockbridalshowerinvitations.com/catalogue/256337138202219090/peacock_lace_elegance_2_bridal_shower_invitation/ The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

January 18, 2016 @ 10:45 am
  4. Comment by Rosemarry Echagarruga:

Peace has never come from dropping bombs. Real peace comes http://www.countrybridalshowerinvitations.com/full/161724668249664677/country_rustic_mason_jar_bridal_shower_invites/ from enlightenment and educating people to behave more in a divine manner.

February 24, 2016 @ 9:52 am
  5. Comment by Nance Kavanaugh:

First of all, never buy another person’s project as your You *will* http://www.peacockbridalshowerinvitations.com/catalogue/161316915646667102/scarlet_red_gold_peacock_feathers_wedding_shower_invitation/ be reverse engineering stuff – often when it’s not Not sure about the others – how do they stack up when you read the car buying thread in the sidebar?

March 31, 2016 @ 6:05 am
  6. Comment by www.metaloffcut.com:

This is a topic which iss near tto my heart… Takke care!
    Exactly where are your contacdt details though?

My weblog http://www.metaloffcut.com

April 1, 2016 @ 10:20 am
  7. Comment by drawonceaday:

I guarantee it’ll be available in That’s the way a lot of these manufacturers are doing things in the See the "Matte Silver" colorway on the FJ-09 with the blue wheels : available everywhere but NA for 2015, released as a 2016

September 13, 2016 @ 1:13 pm
  8. Comment by Verlie Foder:

Localizado en una isla privada en la reserva de Valdecañas, justo a 4 km de El Gordo, la ciudad de Talavera está a 55 km desde el hotel y Madrid a 180 km de hotel tiene 80 habitaciones. Kia opera en España a través de Kia Motors Iberia, S.L. y está realizando una campaña de comunicación (enero de 2010) con el lema: Algún día todos los coches tendrán 7 años de garantía”. Te explicamos lo que incluye Kia en la página web sobre esta garantía y te comentamos lo más llamativo. Si eres comprador de un coche Kia de ocasión, y el vendedor te vende” esta garantía, pídele los términos escritos de la misma, y que te muestre que ha cumplido con todo el mantenimiento oficial de la casa.

September 17, 2016 @ 7:51 am
  9. Comment by Cazare:

Heya excellent blog! Does running a blog such as this take a great deal of work?
    I have virtually no understanding of computer programming
    however I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyways, if you have any recommendations or techniques for new blog owners please
    share. I know this is off subject nevertheless I simply wanted to ask.
    Appreciate it!